Saturday, September 15, 2007

Getting Closer

Wow, it's been a long time since I last posted. To recap: my academic quarter ended before I finished the grill. I'm busy again with classes, unfortunately not in the metalworking field. I can get in the shop on weekends though, so it will soon be finished!


So here's what I'm working with today:

The angle irons at the bottom will become tabs holding up the grate. The square tube sections at the top will be spacers that attach the bowl to the frame.



With holes drilled, I'm ready to put it all together.



This hole is where the bowl will attach to the frame.



I fill the holes in the tabs with weld, so they're not going anywhere.



Sure enough!



Ready to go...



And here it is! The mount is very secure.



It's actually starting to look like a grill! Now I have some accessory parts to finish. First comes the ash catcher. I decided not to use aluminum for it or any of the other parts. Welding aluminum is difficult and takes a while to learn; time limits mean I'll be using steel.



These two sheets will soon be a box...



First I cut a hole for the ash to fall into...



Then some quick bends...



And a little welding. This thing is going to slide on and off, so it's easy to dump the ash. More to come soon!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daaamn that thing is looking ill! I cant wait to grub on some delicious meats cooked on it. On another note, I was wearing my TESC shirt whilst ballin the other day, and this girl told me that her cousin goes there. I cant remember his name now, but ill try to ask her again and let you know.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Curious Art said...

James, what a gas! Oops I mean charcoal! It's great to see it coming together. Beautiful pix too.

9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you plan all these details out ahead of time or are you inventing this thing as you build it?

What is your first meal going to be?

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home